Wednesday 24 September 2014

Auditioning

Attitude
Appearance
Attendance

TOP TIP: DON'T SAY YOU'RE NERVOUS!

Work creates work. This is the approach (attitude) I have to have in the performing arts indsutry. To do this, I can put on my own project. Business-wise, I need to prepare a performance cv, a showreel and headshots.

Visually, I want to make a good impression. I can do this by applying natural make up - light mascara, no heavy eyeshadow, statement eyeliner or blusher. When attending auditions, my hair should be the same as it is in my headshot. In general, it should be neutral (one colour - nothing bright) and versatile. I will need to wear comfortable footwear - heels are an absolute no. Depending on the audition, I need to pack different types of dance shoes: ballet shoes; tap shoes; foot thong (for contemporary); jazz shoes; charatcer shoes. Before I go to an audition, I should be familiar with what I'm auditioning for. For instance, if I'm auditioning for a classical play, I can wear something a little more appropriate but not go overboard (dress fully like a Victorian - corset etc.) Something appropriate would be a long/flary skirt, as opposed to leggings.

On audition day, I think arriving early is the best thing.To make sure I get there on time, I need to double the minimum time needed to get there, adding on half hour.
If I were at an open audition, I've been advised to chat to 1 other auditionee, so they can  then hold your space in the que.

Contacts book - 'the essential book of contacts for the entertainment industry'
On this site, you can get in touch with casting directors and agents, photographers, a voice coach. You can also find useful advice and industry insight into:
  • Getting work as an actor
  • Finding an agent
  • Audition preparation
  • The perfect headshot
  • Creating a voice/showreel
  • Approaching directors
  • Choosing the right drama school for you
  • Becoming a presenter
A similar thing to contacts book is spotlight directory. Finally, there is equity. This is the trade union for actors, stage managers and models in the United Kingdom.

When attending auditions, I need the following material:
  • Monologues
  • Sheet music
  • Dance shoes
  • Change of clothes

For cold weather:
  • Food & Water
  • Blanket/Coat
  • Umbrella

For warm weather:
  • Suncream
  • Sunglasses
  • Deodarant

No comments:

Post a Comment