Wednesday 1 October 2014

Marketing your Product

In this lesson we focused on marketing ourselves as a product in the performing arts industry. We discussed publicity, people and places.

PUBLICITY
The first source of publicity is social media, i.e. Facebook and Twitter. I learnt that I will have to generate a separate profile simply for my work. Therefore, on Facebook I will create a fan site page which eliminates the difficulty of having to accept or decline friend requests. A fan site page can simply be liked or followed by any other Facebook users. To get the page up and running, I will be inviting my family and friends to like the page, and then promote to others. On Twitter, I will  be making my personal account private. My work account will be open to any Twitter users, and I will be tweeting things like 'Gig at The Lions Pub tonight. Would be great to see you guys there!' Through Twitter, I can easily update my followers on my whereabouts and at the same time promote myself. 
Facebook and Twitter are a good source of publicity because both are constantly growing in their number of users, the same goes for Instagram; once again, I will need to create a strictly work-based account, only posting pictures and videos of things related to the business I am in.

Other ways I can publicise myself is through YouTube and Soundcloud. With my YouTube account, I will make sure it is a channel of work, and not full of funny videos I'd watch in my spare time. To make it a channel of work, I plan to upload my show-reel and full performances of productions I am in - solo and ensemble. Although I have little experience in song writing, I think that Soundcloud could be greatly beneficial as it provides you with the opportunity to put your original recordings out there to the world.
I believe that I can become a good songwriter, and that perhaps teaming up with a music student could enable me to do so, as I need a melody and not just lyrics.

Another way I can achieve publicity is through busking, which I can combine with social media, posting videos of my performances. I can also do local events/gigs, and sign up for mini festivals, which singer Adele did before her career sky rocketed. Lastly, a blog is very effective because you can have one link that will lead to all your various accounts, which appears slicker and more proffessional.

For drama school and auditions in general, I will need a fantastic performance CV which I am currently working on. Rachel said it would be beneficial to make business cards with a tiny headshot of ourselves, which we can pass onto the public and people in the industry.


PLACES
We have been advised to start involving ourselves in any student or low budget films, as they will be a handy addition to our performance CV. 'Amdrams' are also good for the CV,  but need to make sure never mention the word amateur and not let them dominate my performance list. Another thing we can all do is contact agencies, sending them our showreel.

PEOPLE
  • Other performers - this is in case you want to put on your own production or wish to hear about upcoming auditions.
  • Agents
  • Casting director
  • Musical director
  • Director
  • Choreographer
  • Photographer
  • Media students - they are the future broadcasters.





No comments:

Post a Comment