Tuesday 17 February 2015

Research for Script


To try and reflect as real emotions as possible and the true life of an alcoholic, I looked at AA forums. The positive responses would work well for Lynn's dialogue as she is technically Ton's advisor. For example the highlighted part of the response below would fit her character well. This is because I am planning for her to be an individual, who has lost friends along the way and doesn't dwell upon it. 

"avaneesh912 wrote:
I made up my mind to just enjoy whatever life brought me.

Contentment is the mother of happiness.

... for their happiness is more dependent on their preferences than your offerings.

Are you happy in your own company? This is the skill of happiness.

(http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16855)

AA forums also have their negative posts, which I can take inspiration from for Ton's character. For example one man posted the following - 'How long did it take for the obsession and craving to start to ease, that's the part that I'm petrified of over coming' (http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16837). This shows how much anxiety alcoholics endure. This has made me imagine Ton to hold a lot of tension in his body.

 'Stressful events, such as bereavement or losing a job can also trigger heavy drinking, which can then lead to alcohol dependence' (https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/check-the-facts/health-effects-of-alcohol/mental-health/alcohol-dependence

The above has influenced me to include tragic events in my story. I have the idea that Ton will get married and soon after divorce, which will take him on a downwards spiral - in other words, make him alcohol dependent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment