Thursday 8 January 2015

Annotated 'Into The Woods' Script


I began by giving each character I was designing for a colour. Jack was orange. Red Riding Hood was green. Rapunzel was going to be purple. However, at home I wasn't always accessible to colours so I decided to label the initial of the character on every post-it note.


I took attention to detail particularly with stage directions and also how other characters addressed those I was designing for. 



It was also important for me to understand the relationship my characters had with other people, or in Jack's case an animal.



Looking at lyrics the characters sung also helped me learn about their personality and social status.








Descriptions of the characters clothing in the script really aided me in the design process. 



It was sometimes the case to get the most you could from little dialogue. For example, Rapunzel speaks very little but I gathered information from the Witch and the narrators.





Red Riding Hood was a character who changed through the play. Initially appearing sweet and obedient, a bratty attitude soon develops. Seeing a change in a character made me rethink my design, to perhaps add a second costume for the character.
 




Props listed in the script told me what 'accessories' were needed, making it easier for me to fill in the costume plots.









Overall, annotating the script was very useful. It was through this that I was able to create my character analysis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment