Sunday 25 January 2015

Dance Evaluation - Character Portrayal

Down and Out
In the dance, we were playing a group of poor children. In the first performance we failed to reflect this, looking like 'stageschool' kids. To roughen us up we sourced baggy clothes from the costume cupboard, adding rips to them. We also used black eyeshadow on tops and our faces. The dance was performed with a straight-faced expression, to show the
tiresome feeling they are having towards life.

Cats
For the audition, I didn't think of performing my solo as a certain character. Reflecting on it, I could have performed my solo the way the character I wanted (Grizabella) would. I chose the jellicle ball because the music was easy to choreography to and I found it fun and energising to perform. For instance, if I had chosen to dance to Memory - Grizabella's solo, I think it would have made me stand out and also would've given me the chance to work on my contemporary dance ability. However, I realise this would have been unsuitable because the solo had to be within the style of jazz dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment