Monday 18 May 2015

Artistic, Vocational, Professional Views

What were you trying to achieve? 

To show a genuine friendship with Gus.

How did you achieve this?

I achieved this by singing more at Gus, rather than the audience, in our duets. This was effective because it showed how I was deeply engaged in his character. Our friendship was shown in my gentle manner and the constant smile I gave him. My gentle manner was clear when I discussed his physical state 'his coat's very shabby and he's thin as a rake'. Occasionally, I would put my hand on his shoulder or thigh, which reflected how sensitive I was with him. Furthermore, I gathered the others in the song to come closer and listen to Gus during his verse. This shows how my character is proud to be friends with Gus and wants others to hear of his success, as she herself finds it remarkable. You could say that Jellylorum is inspired by Asparagus. The way I sung also helped represent our friendship. I sang my solo verse softly and often used my head voice, creating an angelic-like sound.


What would you do to further this? 

To further the showcase of Gus and I's friendship, I would like our characters to have more interaction throughout the show. Prior to our songs in Act 2, we don't pay much attention to one another, and there are definitely opportunities to do so. In the final show, we spontaneously spun together in The Jellicle Ball, which was a moment of improvisation, but I would include again if there was another show.

No comments:

Post a Comment