Tuesday 19 May 2015

Final Video Review - Dance For Camera



  • Use of choreographic devices - they have really come along since my first draft video. In my final video, I have slowed down the tempo of choreography at points, which is something I didn't really do in my first draft. Making some of the choreography slower somewhat led to the creation of a climax in my piece. I have continued to use a lot of repetition. Here are some examples:




Other main movements I repeated included turns and rippling. Also, whilst performing this repetition, I added embellishment. For example, my hands coming up and over my hair whilst rippling. Furthermore, I applied retrograde, like when I slide forward on the floor twice and then straight afterwards return to where I was before the slides took place.
  • Structure - as mentioned above, I feel that I have added a climax to the piece. The clip of me slowly applying lipstick juxtaposes to the next clip of me suddenly shutting the powder case and kicking towards the camera. In my final structure, I also had a clear binary (AB) structure, which I am pleased with. The change from black backdrop to white wall simplistically and also effectively shows my switch from A to B. 
  • Showing my stimulus - I feel like I could have smiled more in the video. Yet, my focused face highlights how concentrated and serious females are to show what they can do, so it works to an extent. There are moments when I smile - after I apply lipstick and when I hip bounce.
Shots/Angles - I succeeded in my target of having a stronger establishing shot in the video:

However, I wish I made the establishing shot longer, as it only remains alone for a second.

Other shots:

Close up


Side close up - NEW ANGLE 


Above shot (birds eye)


Over the shoulder - NEW ANGLE
  • Physical setting - Where it was filmed: Filming all of it in the dance studio went well. It gives the video a much more professional look and feel to it. Also, starting the piece in black and white and switching to colour adds interest, giving my video an edge. However, filming in the dance studio still presented unnecessary things in the background. For example, when I am dancing with the white backdrop, you can see a plug socket and part of the whiteboard. Therefore, this is an area I'd further develop. To ensure the white backdrop is completely plain, I need to prepare the setting before filming, which would involve me covering the plug socket and whiteboard with white cloth so that they blend in.
  • Physical setting - Costume: I wore a pink top with black leggings. The choice to wear pink was smart because it meant that I could relate it to the official girl power logo -




The leggings were worn mainly for comfort and because they were plain. This is something I would develop if I were to film again. This is because in the section with the black backdrop, I am blending in with the setting too much. Next time, I would maybe wear grey bottoms, as that colour would not clash with either backdrop.
  • Aural setting - Music: I ended up changing the music. 'Run The World' is very encouraging and empowering for women, however I am playing a girl who is happy and confident in themselves already and doesn't need to feel reassured. This led me to choosing a different Beyonce track - Diva. The lyrics highlighted in pink strongly reflect the feelings of a confident female, hence why I chose it.
'Diva' Lyrics:

I'm a-a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a-a diva (hey)
I'm a, I'm a-a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a-a diva
I'm a, I'm a-a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a a diva
I'm a, I'm a a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a a di...

Na-na-na, diva is a female version of a hustla, of a hustla, of a, of a hustla...
Na-na-na, diva is a female version of a hustla, of a hustla, of a, of a hustla...

Stop the track, lemme state facts:
I told you, gimme a minute and I'll be right back
Fifty million round the world and they say that I couldn't get it;
I done got so sick and filthy with Benjis, I can't spend it
How you gon' be talking shit? You act like I just got up in it;
Been the number one diva in this game for a minute!
I know you read the paper - the one that they call a queen,
Every radio round the world know me cause that's where I be (first!)

I'm a-a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a-a diva (hey)
I'm a, I'm a-a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a-a diva
I'm a, I'm a-a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a a diva
I'm a, I'm a a diva (hey), I'm a, I'm a a di...

Na-na-na, diva is a female version of a hustla, of a hustla, of a, of a hustla...
Na-na-na, diva is a female version of a hustla, of a hustla, of a, of a hustla...

When he pull up, wanna pop my hood up,
Bet he better have a six-pack in the cooler
Getting money, divas gettin' money,
If you ain't gettin' money, then you ain't got nothing fo' me
Tell me somethin', (tell me somethin'): Where yo boss at? 



No comments:

Post a Comment